Are There Regulations Governing Short Term Rental of my House or Apartment?

The answer is: there might be. Currently, the zoning of your house will govern whether you can legally offer short term rentals as far as your City regulations are concerned. If you live in a strata, there are bylaws that may prevent you from renting your strata out on a short term basis.

However, more Cities are realizing that short term rentals such as AirBnB and VRBO are here to stay and are looking to add regulations for short term rentals. The City of Kelowna is currently looking at creating those regulations and is inviting feedback on this issue. You can respond to their survey here. The survey closes December 3, 2017.

Currently, short term rentals are only permitted in certain areas of Kelowna, those units can't be rented out for more than 6 months of the year, and owners require a business license to rent their unit out on a short term basis. If you don't live in one of those areas, renting your unit out on a short term basis would be against the zoning bylaws and the City may investigate your use if a complaint is received.

For more information on Kelowna's proposal you can go here.


Taeya Fitzpatrick has specialized in strata law for most of her practice, has won cases for her clients in the BC Supreme Court, the BC Court of Appeal, and assisted with a client succeeding in defending a Civil Resolution Tribunal claim. Taeya offers full services to a strata corporation or a strata owner from redrafting the strata’s bylaws, collection of outstanding strata fees or other charges, issues with bylaw enforcement, to amending the strata plan. For more information on the services provided, you can reach Taeya by email, phone: 250-762-6111, or at her Web Page


Popular Posts